A hearty and healthy brunch that will have them asking for more every time.
This is an absolute home run around this house every time for a power packed and super healthy gluten free and lactose free breakfast that is jam packed full of veggies, protein and healthy fats. Leaving you feeling full of energy and ready to tackle the day. Oh.. did I mention this is one is one of my favorites!?
Serves: 4 -6 Prep Time: 12 Min Cook Time: 30 Min.
Ingredients for Viking Pancakes:
2 large sweet potatoes
1 large red onion
One log of blueberry goat cheese
2 Tbl Sp Coconut Oil
Ingredients for Sausage Wraps:
1 lb. all natural breakfast sausage
1 large red onion
12 small - medium sweet peppers (I like to use a combo of red, yellow and orange)
1 habanero pepper (Only if you like spice
1 1/2 C Fresh, finely chopped Spinach
1 Tbl Sp fresh minced garlic
Lettuce for Wraps
Raspberries - small handful for garnish
1 Tbl Sp Olive Oil
Directions for Viking Pancakes:
1. Wash and grate the sweet potatoes and add to a large mixing bowl. Be sure to squeeze out any extra water from the grated sweet potatoes before you add them to your mixing bowl. I like to place mine in a cheese cloth and wring it out
2. Beat the two eggs well in a smaller separate bowl and then add to the bowl with the grated sweet potatoes.
3. Finely chop the red onion and add to the mixing bowl plus apx. 1/2 Tbl Sp of Chili Powder. (You can add more or less chili powder to your taste of course) . Mix well and form your pancakes to the size that you wish. For this batch I made mini pancakes about 2 in. in diameter.
3. Heat cast iron skillet on the stove top with 2 Tbl Sp of Coconut oil. Cook your pancakes for 8 - 10 minutes on medium. Slightly longer for larger pancakes and slightly longer for smaller pancakes. Keep an eye on the color and don't let them get too dark!
4. Remove from the skillet and place onto a warming plate or in the over to stay warm until they are ready to plate.
5. Thinly slice 1/8 in rounds of the blueberry goat cheese log. I use 3-4 slices per stack of viking pancakes. Place into the refrigerator until ready for plating.
Directions for Sausage Wraps.
1. Heat the Olive Oil in a large, cast iron skillet at just a bit under medium.
2. Finely chop the red onion. Allowing the onion to saute while you finely chop the peppers to add. EXCEPT for the habanero. Unless of course you want incredibly spicy sausage wraps. I like to cut one thin slit length wise down the pepper and allow it to simmer with the onions and peppers as they cook to get some of the spice but then I remove the pepper itself before plating any of the wraps.
3. Add the chopped peppers, garlic and the breakfast sausage broken up into small pieces for even browning. Allow to cook over the medium to low heat for apx 10 - 12 minutes or until fully cooked through.
4. Next add the 4 eggs into the sausage and veggie mixture still cooking into the skillet and mix in well. Continue to stir intermittently as the eggs cook until done. About an extra 3 - 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat when fully cooked and you are almost ready to plate!
Directions for plating.
1. Wash the chosen lettuce wrap leaves well and dry. Place them on the plate and add a couple of heaping tablespoons of the sausage scramble to the center of each lettuce leave.
2. Slice the avocado and place a few slices on the top of each wrap.
3. Alternately stack the Viking Pancakes with a layer of blueberry goat cheese in between each one. Adding few crumbles to the top of the stack.
4. Add a few raspberries around the edge of the plate.
5. Serve with your favorite breakfast beverage.
6. Enjoy and Eat Happy!